Mini Asparagus Puff Pastry Squares
I don't always eat asparagus, but when I do it's with Italian cheese on a puff pastry! Here is an easy recipe for an awesome Hors D'oeuvre!
1/2 Package of 36 Puff Pastry Squares, cut into 4ths
1 Large bunch of Asparagus
8 oz. of Italian Mascarpone
8 oz. of Pesto
Zest from 1 Lemon
Fresh Thyme, stems removed
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Freshly Cracked Salt and Pepper
- Start by cutting the chilled Puff Pastry Squares into fourths. A large chef's knife is best for this job.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- To prepare the Asparagus, carefully cut the head of the spear in half lengthwise. The head of the asparagus should be able to lie flat on top of the square.
- Prick the squares with a fork all over to reduce excess puffing of the pastry.
- To assemble, spread about a quarter size ball of Mascarpone cheese onto the square. You may need to dollop and wait for it to soften a bit to continue spreading.
- Top with an even amount of the Pesto.
- Press the halved asparagus spear diagonally across the square. Press it into the cheese so it does not fall off during baking.
- Add a bit of Lemon Zest and Thyme to each square.
- Drizzle Extra Virgin Olive Oil and crack Salt and Pepper evenly across all the squares.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes. Squares will be ready when they start to turn golden brown on the bottom.
Hannah Levy is a food blogger who truly lives to eat. Mrs. Levy hosts many cooking classes at SBH's Food Pantry as well and loves to share her love of food with others for a good cause.